Getting outdoors is important for people of all ages and lifestyles.
Getting outdoors is a great way to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature around us.
Best of all, enjoying the outdoors has real benefits, especially for seniors.
Studies continually report on the benefits seniors gain from spending time in nature. These are some of the main reasons why older adults should make time to go outside every day:
Opportunity to exercise.
Access to everyday green and blue spaces encourages seniors to just walk out the door and encourages physical activity and engagement.
This can help improve cardiovascular and metabolic health, as well as reduce blood pressure and stress levels.
Provides socialization and reduces the feeling of isolation.
Isolation can be an especially difficult problem for older adults, and safe social interactions outdoors can help alleviate some of this loneliness.
Nature and nearby green spaces can increase social connections at the neighborhood level.
Improves mental health
Older people have a higher risk of depression.
Spending time in a natural setting, especially a waterfront, has long been recommended to improve mood and provide comfort to those who may be grieving.
Increases energy and longevity.
Being outdoors in nature can make a person feel more alive and provide a greater sense of energy and vitality.
Don’t know where to start?
There are countless ways for seniors to stay active and spend time outdoors.
Here are some easy ways to get started:
- go to a local park and take a nature walk
- Gardening, a great low-impact activity to maintain strength and flexibility.
- connect with nature through bird watching (or even just placing a bird feeder outside a window)
- Photography, an easy and creative activity that can be enjoyed both in the moment and later.
- reading outdoors, a fantastic activity for older adults! It is a relaxing activity to keep the brain busy.
- spend time next to a body of water. Proximity to running water can promote feelings of relaxation and well-being
Spend time in nature
Even a short walk outside every day can provide significant physical and mental benefits. Choose outdoor activities that are most enjoyable and suitable for your body!